More than 500 million users get to interact with Instagram Stories every day – 73% of Instagram influencers assume stories very influential in their jobs – More than 70% of Instagram users watch stories daily – 98% of the marketers said they have used or have planned to use stories on Instagram – 50% of businesses claimed that they had posted at least one story on Instagram during the last year
All these numbers and statistics are enough to convince us to dedicate a full blog to her majesty! “Instagram Story”
What is an Instagram Story?
If you are an Instagram user, you have already come across those colorful rings around the profile picture of Instagram users, the so-called Instagram stories.
Instagram stories are photos and videos that disappear 24 hours after getting published, and they are fun and exciting because you have only 24 hours to watch them or will miss forever.
Yes, the Instagram stories are unique in that they are not there permanently, unlike other web-based contents that remain on the web for the rest of the life of the universe.
Now let’s see where the “story” began.
Where did Instagram Stories Come from?
As we already know, it was SnapChat that invented stories in the first place, back in 2013. The feature became very popular that in 2016, Instagram decided to copy stories to the platform, for the sake of competition.
Although not originally Instagram’s, it was Instagram that made the stories become a trending feature of social media. On no other social media platform are stories used as widely and popularly as on Instagram.
Although Snapchat is respected as the inventor, the real credit is Instagram’s for where the stories are now.
How do Instagram Stories Work?
To watch or use IG stories:
In the Instagram home, at the top of page, you will see DP’s (profile pictures) with colorful rings moving around them. Tap on one of these ringed DP’s, so the story of that person will be displayed:
On top of the story screen, there are some bars. They indicate the number of active stories of that person.
When a story begins to display, each bar starts to fill until that story ends. Tap on either side of Instagram stories, so the previous or the next story (of the same user or the next one) will show up.
Each story might include some interactive buttons, such as stickers and CTA’s (which makes them an interactive story). Tap on them and take action according to what they are targeted for.or.
You also can comment on stories Instagram displays. Just click on “send message” at the bottom of the page and start to type.
Use emoji and other shapes to send more fun replies. The comment will be sent to the DM inbox of the
Another thing is that you can share a story with Instagram friends.
At the right bottom of Instagram stories, there is an icon resembling a paper plane. Choose it and pick the desired people to send that story to. The story will show up in their Direct Message inbox. However, users with private accounts won’t let their stories display for people who are not a follower of them. Also, some people prefer their stories un-shared with others, so they disable the “Instagram stories sharing” or limit it only to their followers or close friends.
How to Make Instagram Stories?
People usually post stories with Instagram to narrate a very recent event or happening, which they assume exciting and worth to note. However, some Instagram users capture every second of their lives and post them all to Instagram to get attention. That’s why sometimes tens of those bars appear on top of their story screen.
To create and upload an Instagram story, the first thing is to prepare a good content. After making sure what content to post to Instagram stories, tap on your profile picture to be directed to stories screen. Instagram stories have three modes, which are Live mode, Camera mode, and Create mode.
1- Instagram Stories Live Mode
What is an Instagram live story? Live Instagram mode is for publishing a real-time story. Your followers will be able to watch the
To create a live Instagram story tap on LIVE and a screen appears.
- Before you go live you can:
- adjust the setting of your Live story;
- cancel the live story;
- share live responses to a question asked in one of your stories;
- switch to front or back camera;
filters finally; tap the button to GO LIVE.
- During going live:
- you will be shown in the first place in story feed with a “live” icon on it;
- followers are notified about it and will join and interact with the story;
- interact with followers and see their comments;
- view the number of viewers;
- go live with another user;
- tap the “LIVE” button on the top left of the screen to see the duration of the post, so far;
- choose face filters;
- switch between front and back camera;
- accept or ignore the requests to go Live with you;
- share the Instagram Live stream with others;
- end Instagram live video; and
- ask a question in real-time mode.
- After the session is over:
- choose your live Instagram stories to remain there for the next 24 hours or to disappear immediately; and
- save and share it, so your Instagram live will show up in Instagram story feed of the followers with a “play” icon.
2- Instagram Stories Camera Mode
What is Instagram camera mode story? Camera mode is used to create the most typical Instagram stories.
Photos and videos made in this mode will remain on stories feed for 24 hours, and the followers will be able to watch them while the story is still there. Camera mode is somehow like Live mode, with little differences.
- During the camera mode:
- You can customize the settings;
- Turn the flashlight on and off;
- Cancel creating Story;
- Switch between front and back cameras;
- Choose videos and photos from the phone gallery;
- Select camera modes;
- Pick filters; and
- Finally, tap to take a picture or hold to capture a video
- After you capture the story:
- You can cancel and go a step back;
- Apply face filters in the Instagram Story;
- Save the story to your Instagram;
- Use Instagram stickers and emoji;
- Draw things on your photo or video;
- Type something;
- Post your story to all your followers; and or
- Send the story only to close friends.
- In “send to”:
- Post the Story to all your followers;
- Send the Story only to close friends; and
- Send it to specific users.
Just like Instagram live, with Instagram camera mode, followers can comment, share, and react to stories.
3- Instagram Stories Create Mode
What are Instagram stories Create mode? Unlike the live and camera modes, the create mode does not aim to take photos or videos. It is to create text-based stories. However, you are able to upload videos and images from the phone’s gallery.
In this mode, it is possible to:
- Configure setting;
- Cancel the story;
- Change the background color;
- Use stickers,
- Upload videos and photos from the gallery;
- Tap to type;
- Ask a question;
- Start a poll;
- Let Instagram choose a random thread for your Story;
- Set up a guessing game; and
- Start a countdown.
After you tap to type, the next page is just like the second page of camera mode, with all its features and options available.
Instagram story Stickers
Instagram stories have an exciting feature called stickers. The stickers make the followers interact more efficiently with your stories, make it possible to add actions to Stories and add a fun side to them.
Here, we will introduce all stickers of Instagram stories:
- Location Sticker: lets you add a location in Instagram story.
- Mention Sticker: mention other users in your story using this sticker.
- Hashtag Sticker: Instagram stories now can include hashtags.
- Clock Sticker: it displays the time of creating the Instagram story. The time displayed cannot be changed. Tap on it to change it to a digital clock to a classic one and tap again to convert back.
- Poll Sticker: start a poll.
- Music Sticker: add music to your stories.
- GIF Sticker: this sticker directs you to GIPHY to pick a GIF from there to post on an Instagram story.
- Question Sticker: ask your followers a question using this sticker. Once the followers tap on it, they can answer that question.
- Countdown Sticker: set the date and time of an event in the future and start counting down.
- Sliding Emoji Voting Sticker: It is another poll where you ask a question or mention a statement and the followers will slide the emoji (which is determined by you) to left and right to express their vote for or against the question (or statement).
- Quiz Sticker: run a small quiz with quiz sticker on an Instagram story.
- Join Chat Sticker: creates a chat space. You should name this chat space, and once the followers tap on it through the Instagram story, they will be directed to the chat. Decide to accept them or not.
- Temperature Sticker: Add the temperature of your surrounding in Fahrenheit or Centigrade to the
- Camera sticker: take a photo by this sticker in a small space. The frame of this space is changeable.
4- Other None-Interactive Stickers
There are some Instagram story stickers that are not interactive, such as emoji’s, mood stickers, day stickers, etc. it lets you change the color and size of each sticker.
The timeline of Instagram stories up-dates
Instagram has made a lot of changes to stories, and since 2016, there have a lot of updates and features added been to them.
Here is a list of all-time updates of Instagram stories.
- July: Stories cameras save content for 7 full days, now. Join Chat Sticker is also rolled out.
- May: Instagram adds quiz and donation to stories.
- April: sponsored stories are available now.
- March: users can add a title to their live Instagram stories.
- February: Black history month creative stickers added, Netflix
becomes available for Instagram stories.
- January: question sticker can be used on Instagram live; countdown and clock stickers rolled out.
- December: send stories to close friends, only.
- November: IGTV preview added to stories; Stories’ ads expanded to Facebook; business pages allow stories promotion.
- October: longer story durations allowed.
- September: Instagram stories integrated with shopping features; new superzoom effects added to stories.
- July: Music sticker introduced; question sticker becomes available.
- June: now people can re-share someone else’s story using the “mention sharing sticker” in their story.
- May: Sliding emoji voting sticker added.
- April: New focus feature for portrait camera added.
- February: taking screenshots from Instagram stories now sends a notification to the owner; adding images and videos of any size becomes possible; type mode introduced; GIF sticker added to stories.
- December: Instagram stories highlights are available; stories can be archived; users can request to join Instagram lives.
- November: users can now add older content to stories; superzoom feature available; stories become available on desktop Instagram; live split-screen rolled out.
- October: Poll sticker added to Instagram stories.
- July: Instagram Live can be added to stories feed; users can reply to live stories; location sticker available now.
- May: Hashtag stickers are rolled out; use filters for selfies in Instagram stories; rewind tool is available; save Instagram live now.
- April: Instagram stories include ads.
- December: Instagram stories now have Instagram stickers.
- November: Boomerang feature, live stories, the possibility to add links, and the possibility to mention someone are available now.
- September: save your stories.
- August: Instagram launches Instagram story feature.
With over 500 million users every day, Instagram stories have become the most impactful part of the platform. With the significant changes made about Instagram during the recent year, it is well obvious that stories of Instagram will engage more and more businesses and users in the not-so-far future.