If a picture paints a thousand words, then 10 pictures… you get the idea. An update to Instagram allows users to post slideshows for the first time, with up to 10 pictures appearing in a single post.
Multiple-picture posts look just like regular ones in the Instagram feed, except for a row of dots underneath the picture showing how many photos there are.
You can swipe left and right on the photos to flick between them, but all likes and comments will apply to the whole post.
The update lets users post a series of photos without bombarding their followers with multiple posts, in the same way that Facebook’s albums work. Instagram recently branched into Stories, which allow users to share a number of photos without pushing them to people’s main feed, but these disappear after 24 hours.
How to post a slideshow on instagram
- The update is included in Instagram version 10.9 for iOS and Android: go to your respective app store to see whether the update has been applied.
- In Instagram itself, hit the Plus sign in the bottom of the screen as if you were to add a regular photo. In the photo window next to the Boomerang and Layout icons there should be a “Select Multiple” button.
- When you’ve hit it you can select up to 10 photos or videos, either from your camera roll or taken within Instagram. They will have a little number indicating their order (you can change this later).
- When you’re happy, click “next” in the top right corner to go to the editing screen. The filters along the bottom will be applied to all images or videos. If you click each one you can edit them independently.
- You can rearrange photos by holding them and dragging them to the left or the right, or remove them by holding and dragging them up to the bin icon. If you want to add more there’s the plus button on the right hand side.
- When you’re happy, click next. The caption and location will apply to the whole post.
At present, all pictures and videos in slideshows are square, despite Instagram going beyond the square with rectangular photos in 2015.
In the profile view, posts with multiple images will have a small icon to show this, instead of clogging up the profile with several similar photos.