How to Delete an Instagram Account Permanently or Temporarily
Instagram is a wonderful social network for sharing pictures and moments, and now that Instagram supports multiple account switching you can easily change between personal, public, private, and work related Instagram accounts.
If you have decided you no longer want to use Instagram, or no longer need a particular Instagram account, or perhaps you have found Instagram to be too distracting, you can do something about it. You can choose to either disable an Instagram account temporarily (which can be reversed and reactivated), or if you want to go all out, you can permanently delete a Instagram account as well, thereby removing it and all associated posts and pictures from the service.
You can temporarily disable an Instagram account, meaning the Instagram profile is no longer visible to anyone, and it appears as deleted to the outside world, but this can be reversed and the account with all of its pictures and posts can be re-activated again at any time.
- Open a web browser and go to Instagram.com and log in to the account you want to disable from the service and make no longer visible
- Click on your profile, then choose “Edit Profile”
- In the Edit Profile page, look at the bottom corner for the “Temporarily disable my account” link and click on it
- Select the reason you wish to temporarily disable the Instagram account, confirm with a password, and click on the “Temporarily Disable Account” button
This is helpful if an account needs a hiatus or may need to be used again in the future, and temporarily disabling an account is what most users would likely want to do.
You can also completely delete an Instagram account, this not only removes the account and all of the associated pictures and posts, but the username can not be reactivated, and the account can not be reactivated either. This is permanent and can not be undone, the Instagram account and all of the posts will be gone forever, so you should not take this lightly.
If you are going to permanently delete an Instagram account it is highly recommended to download the Instagram pictures to a computer beforehand, otherwise they will be removed forever, unable to be recovered.
- From a web browser, log in to Instagram.com using the account you want to permanently delete
- Now visit this page to request permanent removal of the account
- Fill out the form and enter the password, then click on “Permanently Delete Account”
This is permanent and there is no way to undo the deletion of an Instagram account, all pictures, posts, profile data, everything at all is removed including the account username (meaning someone else could claim the username). This is not recommended unless you are absolutely certain you want to delete an account and all of it’s associations on a permanent basis.