This is not just you; we are all guilty of overusing with Instagram and other social media. Using Instagram all the time can waste your time and cause some serious mental troubles for you.
So I am here to show you how to digital detox yourself and overcome social media addiction once and for all.
17 Signs of Instagram addiction:
- The first thing you do after waking up is to check your Instagram.
- You must keep up to date with all of the latest posts.
- If you wake up in the middle of the night, you may as well see what is happening on Instagram.
- You delete photos that have under specific
- You don’t want your friends tagging you on a picture because of their weak filter skills.
- You have a perfect caption for a photo before even taking it.
7. You get super excited about Instagram updates.
8. You are a pro at hashtags.
9. You have apps to filter your photo before posting on Instagram.
10. You can’t choose between Instagram
11. Nothing could make you leave your phone while checking Instagram, you take your phone everywhere, even bathroom!
12. You have a fake Instagram account.
13. It takes at least two hours for you to choose a photo for your Instagram.
14. You cannot post a B&W photo next to another black and white picture.
15. You get an instant adrenaline rush when you post on Instagram, and the likes start to show up.
16. You should have a good following to follower ratio.
17. You like your account with fake accounts.
Why is Instagram so addictive?
- The act of capturing pictures: we think if we don’t seize this moment it will disappear forever and it makes us feel anxious.
- It has become a somewhat informal social network: Instagram is a social network, it’s not just about capturing the moment, so the specific triggers are now boredom, seeking connection and fear of missing out.
- Great filters: you can make a great picture out of a lame one.
- You will never want to miss out again: one of the biggest reasons to use Instagram is FOMO. You will get a psychological itch to open Instagram and scroll in.
How to overcome your Instagram addiction
If you feel stressed out, anxious and overwhelmed all the time and you are consistently on your Instagram, or if you compare yourself to others and feel insufficient as a result, you might be addicted to Instagram. I have been there, and I know how you feel: “I’m not good enough.” You are good enough, and you can overcome this addiction because you are so much more than a number on a platform!
There are five steps to overcome your Instagram addiction:
1. Delay and schedule
You should decrease your time consuming on Instagram, find a better thing to do. This is a learned behavior so that we can unlearn it too. Remember life isn’t a competition and Instagram shouldn’t be about “Who is the best.” You can earn so much free time and energy by scheduling your activities on Instagram. There are platforms which can help you with that.
2. Your self-worth doesn’t depend on numbers on your Instagram
You shouldn’t compare yourself with celebrities on Instagram. The follower numbers and your engagement doesn’t define you. You are so much more than this.
- If you use Instagram for business:
If you are using Instagram for business and you need to gain more followers to gain more customers, you can hand it to Instagram automation tools like Instagram bots and auto-like, auto-comment, auto-follows and auto DMs. These tools will automatically do all your Instagram activities for you and buy you a lot of spare time.
So you can take a break from Instagram, and you don’t have the excuse of doing your job on it anymore!
3. Turn off your Instagram notifications:
At first, when you turn off your phone notifications, you will feel like something is missing, but trust me it gets easier. You don’t need to be notified about every little thing.
It creates anxiety and stress for you when you see your phone screen lighting up every few minutes with notifications. You will get more dependent on your phone.
So if you want to overcome your Instagram addiction, just turn your notification off.
4. Find happiness outside of your social media world :
You shouldn’t try to provide to other people that you have a life ( a happy life). Instead, you should be living it!
Your life should be about you and how you feel, not about making sure that other people like you. You should love yourself.
5. Stop reaching for your phone all the time:
Put your phone somewhere far from reach. Like another room or under your bed! Just place it somewhere out of your sight, and it would be easier to forget.
I know that our Instagram is essential for us to, but it doesn’t have to be our whole lives.