Ever since Instagram stories was launched I am exploring and using it a lot, so in this article, I have mentioned a few tricks which will help you hide Instagram Story view from another user’s story.
It means that you can use the techniques discussed here to view someone’s story and direct messages without notifying them on Instagram. Besides, it’s possible to watch people’s stories without even following them, but that’s only viable for public accounts.
In case you have already accidentally viewed someone’s DM or story on Instagram and seeking to remove or undo your “seen” from their viewer’s list then also I’ve got you covered. We’ll start with the same here.
Here are some quick links to jump to particular sections in the article as wanted:
- Remove or Undo Seen from Instagram Story or Direct Messages
- Hide Seen from Instagram Story
- Hide Instagram Direct Message Seen
Remove or Undo Seen from Instagram Story or Direct Messages
At times, we might view stories by mistake, and at the same time, we don’t want the user to find out. The good news is that you can hide your view from their story viewers’ list. Whether the owner’s profile is private or public the method to delete your seen remains the same. Here’s how.
The steps are the same and suitable for both iOS and Android devices. So, let’s get on with it.
1- Open your Instagram app and go to the user’s profile.
2- Tap on the three dots icon at the top right and choose Block.
3- Confirm your decision by clicking on block.
That’s all you have to do. Basically, blocking the owner of the Instagram story will delete your view from their story and also remove the DM chat with them. However, there’s a catch. As soon as you unblock that specific user, your view will appear again in their story viewers list. So, to counter this keep that user blocked until their story expires. This means you need to wait for 24 hours before unblocking them. In case you need to unsee a DM then you will have to keep them blocked. As once you unblock them, your conversation will be back and they’ll be able to see the “Seen” or the read receipt.
To unblock a user, go to your profile and tap on the three lines menu icon at the top right and choose Settings.
Then, tap on Blocked user.
Now select the user. This will take you to their profile. Tap on the three dots icon at top right of their profile and select unblock.
After that story has expired, you’ll have to follow them again. Also blocking someone will make them unfollow you, So, you stand a risk of losing a follower in case they don’t follow you again later.
Now, let’s look at the different methods you can use to see someone’s story anonymously.
Hide Seen from Instagram Story
Did you ever want to watch Instagram stories anonymously? I tried out a few techniques and fortunately found a few that work. So let’s get the ball rolling.
Method 1: View Someone’s Instagram Story Without Notifying Them On the Web
This method makes use of the Instagram website to view Instagram stories without notifying the owner. To do this, you need to use the Chrome browser. So, if you don’t have it yet, then this should be a good enough reason to install it on your PC. Once done, follow the following steps.
- Add Chrome Instagram Story extension to your browser from this link. This extension allows you to watch Instagram stories on your computer.
- Log in to your Instagram account from the browser. If you had it already opened then reload the webpage.
- Click on the Chrome Instagram Story icon at the top next to address bar.
- The stories from the users you follow will appear in the window. Now, make sure the “eye icon” is slashed. It shows that anonymous viewing is enabled. You can do so by clicking on the eye icon.
5- Now, you can tap on the desired stories to watch them. Your view won’t be included as long as the hidden mode is activated.
For viewing stories on your smartphone without notifying, use the following methods.
Method 2: Watch Instagram Stories Privately in Android
- Instagram the following app on your android device.
- Log in to your Instagram account using the app.
- Now you can see the Instagram stories of all your followings. Tap on any story to view them. The app will hide your “seen” from their Instagram
Method 3: view Instagram stories anonymously on iOS
1- Install story reporter for Instagram app.
2- Type the username of the user whose story you like to see. The good thing about this app is that you don’t need to login to your Instagram account.
3- On the next part, you will see the username of that user. Tap on it.
4- It will show you all the stories the user has uploaded with their timestamps. Tap on the desired story.
Hide Direct message seen
There is a simple trick you can use to hide Instagram read receipt or message seen. There’s no direct option or setting to hide Instagram messages read receipts, so you need to follow these steps.
- As you receive the direct message, you’ll get an Instagram push notification. Do not tap on it.
- Open the Instagram app and tap on the Direct icon at the top right corner.
- Instagram conversations will load. Do not open the conversation for which you want to hide the seen icon.
- Turn Off cellular data or Wifi (disconnect from the Internet)
- Now, pick and open the desired conversion to read the DMs and at the same time don’t want to inform the sender with Seen receipt. You’ll be able to view the DMs.
- Now you have to log out of your Instagram account. Don’t turn On your internet yet. You should log out of your Instagram account without the internet connection.
Sender won’t get Seen notification even though you read the message. You can continue to use Instagram Direct with other users and still the user won’t get notified that you have viewed their messages. But do not open the conversation for which you wish to hide your “seen.” If you do that, then the sender of the messages will get the seen receipt. In case they send more messages then follow the same steps above to read their message without letting them know.